A passion for wedding flowers...

My passion is wedding flowers... incorporating traditional floral design techniques to create a signature floral and decor atmosphere for weddings and special events on Hilton Head Island and in the surrounding Low Country of South Carolina.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Bouquet With Special Meaning

Often I have had the privilege to create a bridal bouquet for a family members wedding.  The bouquet above was for my sister-in-law and brother's wedding in 2002.  The wedding was in late October in northern Virginia.  So, the Autumn leaves were in their glory of oranges, reds and yellows.  The bride's dress was a darker toned ivory.  I chose flowers of the bride's favorite color field of Autumn oranges and her favorite varieties... roses, freesia, ranunculus, and Calla lilies.
But, what made it special?  I clipped the collaring foliage from my mother's yard in Georgia and transported them in my luggage on the air plane.  (I wrapped them in moist paper towels sealed in a plastic bag.)  Since the groom's home was the Georgia coast, I chose palmetto fronds and gardenia leaves.  The groom's (my brother) boutonniere consisted of a single, extremely fragrant Gardenia.  Since the wedding took place so far to the north, I decided to make things more special and meaningful by bringing a personal touch of home into these arrangements.
I would encourage any bride to add special touches to their personal flowers for their special day. Anything from a tiny framed picture or a Rosary can add a great deal of nostalgia to the floral accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment